Help... I'm flooded!

Having a flood can be very stressful, so we wanted to put together this little guide to help you get the right equipment you need. Most submersible pumps are not specifically designed for use in flooding, as they are often used in water containers. Below are a couple points to remember:

Float Type / Minimum Pickup
To protect the pump from burning out they require a float switch. The float switch affects the lowest suction point to which the pump can work and this means it will cut of with approximately 20cm of water left to pump. In the event of flooding, an adjustable electrode switch is the best as it will measure the water down to the lowest level.

Submersible pumps come in voltages of 110V (Construction Industry voltage) and 230V (Everyday Household Power). What type of pump you would need would be dependent on access to mains power or if you are using a generator. If you select 230V then please be careful that you order a pump with the right plug as most pumps are European made and come with an EU plug pre-fitted. You could re-wire the plug with a UK model but a adaptor will see you right.

PUK Ego SE LS Low Suction Submersible Pump

Our Recommendation:

PUK Ego SE LS (Low Suction)

In 90% of household and small commercial premises we would recommend a PUK Ego SE LS. We stock this specifically to empty tanks and help with flooding as it draws water down to an extremely low level, approximately 1mm! It runs on a standard UK plug socket on 230V and has the UK plug ready to go. It is also rated for clear or slightly dirty waters. We include a free non-return clapet valve for the outlet (to stop water coming back) and 1 1/4 inch hosetail adaptor. To get this to work you would need a 1 1/4" hose (in the recommended items for those product), you can get this by the 1m or in a 10m roll.

Product Link:

Hose Link:

If you need to remove a lot of water then you might need something a bit bigger in which case our sales team would be happy to help with a recomendation. You can contact us by email at or by phone on 01322 292415.